Yesterday I completed 35 weeks and today I start my 36th week pregnant. A lot has happened since my last post.
The holidays came and went. Andrew and I had a week and a half off work during that time. It was wonderful to spend a couple days with Abbey, Connie, Randy and Aunt Dottie here at our home. Then one day Joy, Brandon and Lucas came over to visit. Lucas is so adorable and it was so nice to catch up and spend the day together just hanging out like old times.
But good things come to an end, and shortly thereafter, out of nowhere my low back started to hurt. I knew immediately it was my sciatic nerve being pinched off. I have had a chronic problem with this since I was in my early 20's. And the car accident this past summer caused it to flare up again. During the whole of pregnancy it has reappeared but usually only for a few days at a time. I manage it with yoga, stretching, walking, massages, and the chiropractor. This time was different. After a week and a half the pain had become so severe that walking would bring tears to my eyes, cause nausea, I would get sweaty and clammy, my blood pressure would raise, I was over compensating using my stomach muscles to walk since my low back was not cooperating, and ultimately causing stress and braxton hicks contractions. I was exhausted and miserable. So at my 34 wk doctor appointment my OB suggested I start my maternity leave early. Typically I would have gone on leave at 37 weeks, but instead I started leave at the beginning of 35 weeks (this past Monday January, 10th). I felt bad and guilty for going on leave so early, but honestly there has not been a single day this week I could have managed getting up, getting ready, driving in, walking in to work, and sitting all day without stressing out and being in a lot of pain.
Staying at home is very different. I am able to rest, and I realize how much slower and tired I have become. I am very thankful that my work allows women to use short term disability to go on leave early if it is medically suggested.
Monday it snowed 4-5 inches so I didn't attempt to leave the house. We canceled going to our breastfeeding class that night. Tuesday I wanted to go to prenatal yoga but they still had not plowed our neighborhood and with my back it was not an option. So I have missed yoga 3 weeks in a row now :-( Tuesday night I ate too late and indigestion and an angry Anya kept me up until 4:30am. Not fun. Wednesday I was so tired... that afternoon I made an exchange at Babies R Us and then met Andrew and our Doula at Panera in Chesterfield. I was really exhausted by the time we got home. But meeting with the Doula was important. We discussed our birth plan. We both like Jenny and are comfortable with her personal experiences and professional experiences to know she is a good fit for what we are looking for. Our Doula will come out to our house soon to make sure she knows where we live, talk through what our plan is when I go into labor, and discuss any last minute preparations. Then the day I do go into labor she will come out to the house and labor with us, follow us to the hospital, be a physical, emotional, and mental support to us both through labor and delivery, and stay for a few hours afterwards to help ensure Anya and I can establish breastfeeding. About a week later she will visit us at home to talk through any questions or concerns we may or may not have lingering about delivery day, how to care for Anya, postpartum recovery, etc. I am really happy that Joy and Kyla suggested that we look into finding a Doula. As first timers it will be nice to have an experienced person in the hospital working with us and mediating the staff to ensure our primary wishes are listened too and respected, and to explain any part of the process that we might be unprepared for or don't understand. I think one of the major benefits is that she can help us remain calm, make suggestions, and be a positive beacon during those stressful and scary hours of the unknown.
Until then I wake up each day, take a shower, do some yoga stretches, eat healthy, and try to do something productive around the house or mark at least one thing off of the "last minute to do list". I fade quickly and do not get much accomplished. Once my body gets tired the braxton hicks come back and I am forced to rest somehow. It is a bit frustrating at times. And a little overwhelming since I feel like there is so much left to do. But I have read that this is mother natures way of warning me how much I will have to slow down with a baby or small child. Everyone who knows me well knows that for my whole life I have been on the go and don't know how to slow down. I usually just keep over committing myself. Just last spring I was working full time, going to graduate school full time, pulling straight A's, planning a baby shower for a friend, and a 14 day trip to Ireland all at the same time. So this new pace is very new territory for me, but I do think it is time to slow down.
Next week my parents plan to visit before Anya arrives. They will be able to see her room and see me this pregnant, and just visit for the day. I have 34 wk and 35 wk pictures of my pregnant to post at some point. As of right now my personal computer is experiencing Internet issues and I can't use my work computer to load them online. So it will have to wait a little longer.
More news soon!
3 comments:
Oh, Kelli, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. It sounds awful. I'm glad it will be over soon, though and you'll have a beautiful, healthy little girl and it will all be worth it :)
Brandi is right, your pain will be worth the joy your little girl will bring to your life. I think FitTV and Hulu both have some prental yoga/stretching videos you can stream to your computer. I use them (not the prenatal ones, ha) at home.
And Brandi, I think you need one of these blogs :)
I agree Brandi needs a blog too, i want to see pictures of her baby bump!
Post a Comment